Thursday, October 09, 2008

If You Didn't Raise Your Hand, Shut Up


Here we go, this is going to be a 3 part post. So bear with me while I speak my two cents, for all its worth, and get this off my chest. Hopefully most of you who will read this agree with the major points. And please, please read the whole thing, I know it is a little lenghty but some of the best stuff is at the end.

1) VOTE! That is what our country is based on, the voice of the people. I don't understand people who don't excercise their right and opportunity. In the end it doesn't matter who you vote for, the action is the important part. If you don't vote, I feel you don't have the right to complain about almost anything. Don't complain about taxes, laws, gas prices, food prices, wars, shipping costs, postage costs, rotten senators and congressmen, our bad economy and so on and so on. There is only 10 days to register to vote if are not already. The deadline for mail in registration has passed, now you have to go to the county clerks office and register but it must be done 15 days before the election, which means by Nov. 20th. Utah voter registration form

2) INFORM YOURSELF. I know, there is so much to know, how can you possibly cover it all, especially if you are just now starting. Pick the issues that are important to you and find out where the candidates stand. If you have a strong feeling about abortion, find out who supports your views. If taxes matter, look into that. There are websites out there that will tell you these things in a rather short format and unbiased, On The Issues is one I know. You cant know it all or understand it all unless you are paid full time too, even then it can be tough. Listen to some talk radio or election coverage even it's only for a few minutes. It is surprising what you can learn in a few minutes.

3) USE CAUTION. A lot of times it is hard to tell who is telling the truth. It can be a lot of he said, she said, or you did this and want this, no, you did that and voted for that. All I can suggest is again, do your research, and after that, rely on your gut, that usually works out pretty well. Also, beware of media bias, it isn't supposed to exist but it does, so be broad in your searching. Also be aware of what shows you are watching or listening to, so you are aware if it is fair and balance (CNN for example) or if it is an opinionated talk show (Sean Hannity or Keith Olberman for example)
What it all comes down to, is that it so important to vote and speak your piece. So when the time comes and they say raise your hand if you vote for so and so, and yours never goes up, you don't have the right to complain.

1 comments:

chel wakley said...

Hey Tor-
I just wanted to invite you to my purse party. It is Tuesday Oct 21 from 6:30-8:30 there are supposed to be tons of cute bags and diaper bags at really good prices. Let me know if you can make it and I will get you my address. I would love to see you.
Chels